If you open a newspaper on a Monday morning, there is a good chance that you will read about a serious auto accident caused by an impaired driver. Driving while under the influence of drugs or alcohol is a major problem in the Atlanta metro area. You can protect yourself from impaired drivers by learning to recognize the signs that a driver is under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
Signs of an impaired driver:
- The driver is going too fast or too slow
- The driver is slow to respond to traffic signals
- The driver ignores traffic signs and signals
- The driver is swerving or weaving in and out of their lane
- The driver makes excessively wide turns
- The driver turns too quickly
- The driver makes an illegal turn
- The driver is driving in the wrong lane or in the wrong direction
- The drivers signals are inconsistent with his actions
- The driver accelerates or brakes for no reason
- The driver forgets to turn on his headlights at night
- The driver gets too close to other vehicles or objects
If you think a driver is impaired, follow these tips:
- Slow down
- Stay as far away from the impaired driver as possible. Don’t try to pass the driver because you could be injured if he suddenly swerves
- Don’t become so distracted that you pose a danger to others
- Don’t try to stop the driver or follow the vehicle
- Pull over and call 911 to report the driver. Give the operator your exact location and a description of the vehicle including make and model, color and license plate number.
Consider your own safety first
If you are injured by a drugged or drunk driver in Georgia, contact the Atlanta car accident lawyers at Kaufman Law. Our attorneys are dedicated to helping accident victims get all the compensation they deserve. To learn more, contact Kaufman Law today.