Jackknife trucking accidents are among the deadliest accidents on Georgia roads. When a jackknife truck accident happens, the truck’s trailer swings across multiple lanes of traffic. Anyone in the way risks injury or even death.
A typical jackknife truck accident occurs when a truck approaches a slick spot in the road. The vehicle’s wheels lock up, but the trailer continues to roll forward. The trailer swings out to the side and the driver loses control of his vehicle.
Jackknifing can also occur when a truck driver brakes too quickly in order to avoid a collision. These types of accidents often involve drowsy, distracted, or intoxicated drivers.
Other causes of jackknife truck accidents include:
- Accelerating on a slippery surface
- Entering a curve at a high rate of speed
- Slippery road conditions
- Bad weather
- Poorly adjusted brakes
- Faulty or malfunctioning brakes
- Brake failure
- Engine brakes
Our Atlanta truck accident lawyers have learned that many jackknife crashes are preventable when drivers are trained in proper braking techniques. Truck drivers may be able to avoid jackknifing by following these suggestions:
- Allow plenty of following distance.
- Only brake when the truck is in a straight line. Never decelerate at turns or bends in the road.
- Don’t wait for the last minute to brake. Give yourself as much space as possible to come to a stop.
- Never brake and swerve at the same time. During an emergency, the truck driver should brake first, then release the brakes, swerve, and reapply the brakes.
- If the tractor is skidding, the driver should release the brakes and steer into the skid.
Not all jackknife truck accidents are avoidable, but truckers should do their best to keep the public safe. If you have lost a loved one to a jackknife accident, you deserve to know that the trucker did everything possible to prevent the crash and you deserve accountability. Contact the Atlanta truck accident attorneys at Kaufman Law to learn how a personal injury claim can help you and your family obtain justice. To schedule a free consultation, contact Kaufman Law.