For innocent travellers on one of Atlanta’s many roadways, there are many risks presented by large commercial trucks. The sheer size and weight of these vehicles can wreak havoc in the event of an accident. Motorists travelling in cars, motorcycles, or small trucks are left with little in the way of protection, and often face severe injuries and property damage. The various U.S. states each have rules to try and ensure that all operators of large commercial trucks meet a minimum standard of competence. Without meeting these criteria, the driver will not be issued a commercial license. Unfortunately, some drivers choose to operate commercial trucks even when their license was obtained by fraudulent means.
Proper Steps for Obtaining a Valid Commercial Trucking License in Georgia
Drivers of large commercial trucks who follow the laws have to take several steps in order to be properly licensed in the state of Georgia. These steps include the following:
- Obtain and study a commercial drivers license manual prepared by any Georgia Department of Driver Services office.
- Present various forms of personal documents that verify identification and proof of residency. These documents include current driver’s licenses, proof of residency, and proof of identity.
- Submit the documentation to the nearest Department of Driver Services location, along with payment for the required fees.
- Complete the commercial driver’s license application.
- Take and pass the written knowledge test as well as the driving skills test in order to demonstrate that the driver has the skills and experience necessary to safely operate a commercial truck. As part of the skills test, the driver will need to bring the type of commercial vehicle that he or she plans on driving after receiving the license.
It is important to note, however, that drivers who have a valid commercial license from another state, and who have moved within the past 30 days, may not have to complete the above-required steps.
When a driver fails to abide by these rules and instead operates a commercial truck with a fraudulent license, there is no way of knowing whether that driver has the proper amount of knowledge and training to drive the large vehicle safely. If you or a loved one was involved in an accident with a commercial truck, it is important to act quickly to protect your rights. We strongly encourage you to download Kaufman Law, P.C.'s free accident app today. This helpful app will provide you with valuable information following an accident.
Injured? Request your free consultation with an Atlanta truck accident lawyer today.