Motorcyclists living in Atlanta are very fortunate with regard to the weather, the open road, and the beautiful landscape. Unfortunately, that does not change the fact that a motorcycle accident often leaves its victims with severe injuries. One common injury is a broken collarbone. The treatment for this injury is not a quick and easy fix. Victims should expect several weeks to several months of recovery.
6 Possible Broken Collarbone Treatment Options After a Motorcycle Accident
After your motorcycle accident that left you with a broken collarbone, your next step is to obtain medical treatment. This treatment will last for a prolonged period of time. Examples of treatment that your doctor might recommend include the following:
- You may need to wear an arm sling or a figure-eight strap in order to keep your shoulder in a certain position.
- If the collarbone break is severe enough, you may require surgery to repair it.
- To reduce swelling and inflammation, you may need to continuously apply ice to the broken collarbone.
- Your broken collarbone may require ongoing physical therapy for weeks, months, or even years after your injury.
- In order to allow the broken collarbone to fully heal, you may be required to rest it completely for as long as six weeks. During this period of time, you may be unable to perform many of your usual work tasks as well as every day activities.
- To minimize your discomfort while the broken collarbone heals, you also may need to take anti-inflammatory medication for a period of time after the motorcycle accident.
Did you find the information about broken collarbone treatments after a motorcycle accident helpful? If so, we a encourage you to share it with your friends and family on Facebook. Broken collarbones caused by motorcycle accidents are reasonably common. Sharing this information about treatment may benefit someone that you care about.