Today's Kaufman Law blog post continues to discuss the top nine safest cars, trucks, and SUVs that were recently revealed in Friday's AJC articlehere. All of these cars, over the course of a year, had zero deaths per one million registered users of these vehicles in 2011. David Zuby, the chief research officer of the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, states, "We know from our vehicle ratings program that crash test performance has been getting steadily better", despite an arguably less-than-stellar economy. Perhaps a less demanding economy enables manufacturers and engineers more quality time to create impressive new technology? Let's see how this next vehicle measures up:
Subaru is one of those vehicle makes that has risen out of the design dumps recently with several new sleek and sporty models whose looks could compete with some of the more substantial and prominent luxury cars, such as Audi and Land Rover. The Legacy model is particularly known for its hardy and versatile character-models from decades prior are still seen on the road today. Even more impressive than its ability to outlast most vehicles in its class in robust-ness are the slew of new safety features that the Legacy now possesses, of which there are seven:
1. Eyesight Driver Assist technology: This quality monitors the movement of traffic, prioritizes cruise control and speed of the car when it "senses" danger in your surroundings, such as drifting out of the current lane.
2. Blind-spot detection/Rear cross-traffic alert: Notifies the driver when switching lanes or making turns of possible dangers in blind spots.
3. Symmetrical all-wheel drive: Senses in slippery situations to send power to all wheels for maximum traction, as in snow, ice, or wet conditions.
4. Subaru boxer engine: The engine itself is positioned low inside the vehicle, which contributes to a low center of gravity. This characteristic protects the passenger area in the case of a front-end collision by helping the engine to drive forward under the chassis.
5. Vehicle dynamics control: Or VDC is a stability control feature that helps to keep the car on the path that the driver is intending to stay on by sensing braking and steering tendencies of the driver.
6. Smart braking systems: Three brake systems make up the entirety of the braking system with anti-lock brakes that prevent wheels from locking up, electronic brake-force distribution which balance braking, and brake assist, which sends full braking force to help the vehicle stop faster in a "panic-stop" situation.
7. Advanced protection system: The airbag system and frame of this vehicle create the ultimate protection package for both the driver and the passengers. Eight airbags surround the car in the front, front seat-side pelvis and torso, front seat cushion, and side curtain. The frame itself is ring-shaped and reinforced with high-tensile strength steel, which redirects energy from an impact around the vehicle instead of through it, especially in the passenger area.
Learn more about this vehicle and its safety journey to be one of the top safety cars on the road today here.
No doubt this vehicle has dramatic potential to prevent personal injuries in the case of a collision!