It’s August in Atlanta, the hottest month of the year, but there is still plenty to do in this fun and vibrant city! Residents and visitors of Atlanta and the surrounding area have a lot to choose from when it comes to entertainment this month. Whether festivals, sporting events, or art exhibits are more your speed, there is something to offer everyone as the summer comes to a close.
7 Ways to Stay Busy and Enjoy August in Atlanta
What are some of the fun events happening this month in Atlanta? The following is an overview:
- Channel your inner supermodel – It’s fashion week! Check out Atlanta International Fashion Week from August 1 – 2nd, where the city’s elite designers and models will be offering runway shows, live entertainment, learning sessions, and networking events. Fashion Week events will take place at 200 Peachtree.
- Remember what it’s like to be a kid and participate in the Cool Dads Rock Soap Box Derby. Participants will design and build a car, then race it downhill to win cool prizes. Attendees will enjoy music, food trucks, and activities, all held at Historic Old Fourth Ward Park. This fun family event will take place on August 1st.
- Cheer on your favorite women’s basketball team. From August 2nd through mid-September, the WNBA’s Atlanta Dream will be playing at the Philips Arena.
- Is America’s favorite pastime your favorite sport to follow? Check out the Atlanta Braves when they play Miami on August 7th or Arizona on August 14th at Turner Field, and stay for the fireworks after the game!
- Bring out your artistic side and attend the Piedmont Park Arts Festival from August 15th – 16th. This event will feature 250 painters, photographers, sculptors, leather and metal workers, glass blowers, and jewelers. Attendees can enjoy artist demonstrations, live acoustic music, a children’s play area, and food vendors.
- Bring the whole family for a fun day at the Grant Park Summer Shade Festival. From August 29th-30th, attendees can enjoy music performed on two stages, food vendors, an artist market, a 5k run, and children’s fun center. Admittance is free.
- Beat the heat and enjoy some ice cream! On August 30th, taste more than 100 flavors of homemade ice cream, participate in an ice cream eating contest, visit the kid’s corner, and enjoy live music at Miss Mary’s Ice Cream Crankin’.
Help us spread the word about these fun events and activities by sharing a link to this article with your friends and loved ones on Facebook and Twitter!