When it comes to preventing car accidents, drivers must be alert at all times – not just when traveling the roadways. Crashes can occur virtually anywhere, including parking lots. In fact, parking lot accidents account for 20% of all crashes. Now that the holiday season has arrived, parking lots are busier than ever. Fortunately, there are actions that drivers can take to reduce their risk of a parking lot accident.
10 Ways You Can Avoid a Parking Lot Crash
- Always wear your seat belt, even if you are just changing parking spots or adjusting your position. Make sure passengers buckle up as well.
- Avoid shopping on weekends, especially during the holidays. If you can, try shopping on weekday mornings when parking lots are their emptiest.
- Adjust your rear-view mirrors and check your blind spots before pulling out of a parking space. Be extra careful if there are children in the area.
- Change your criteria for a good parking space. Instead of looking for a space near the entrance, look for a spot that gives you plenty of space.
- Whenever possible, try to find a parking spot that will allow you to pull out directly into the travel lane, rather than having to back out of the space.
- Try to center your vehicle in the parking spot as much as you can. Drivers who park close to or over the line are more likely to be hit by other vehicles.
- Always use your signals while driving in a parking lot. This will let other drivers and pedestrians know what your intentions are as you drive through.
- Drive slowly when traveling through a parking lot, allowing yourself plenty of time to react to other motorists and pedestrians sharing the lot.
- Consider adding a back-up sensor to your vehicle. These sensors will alert you of other motorists and pedestrians as you back out of a parking space.
- If possible, avoid compact parking spots. The less space there is to maneuver safely out of a parking spot, the greater the risk of an accident.
Were You Injured in a Parking Lot Accident?
While most parking lot accidents happen at low speeds, there is still potential for serious injuries, including back injury, whiplash, and head injury. If you are injured in a parking lot accident, contact our Atlanta personal injury attorneys at Kaufman Law, P.C. We can help you pursue the level of compensation you deserve. Check out our firm's client testimonials to see how we have helped other accident victims.
Were you injured in a parking lot accident? Contact Kaufman Law, P.C. for a FREE consultation. Our Atlanta injury lawyers are here to help.