Hosting a Super Bowl party is a great way to celebrate your team spirit and spend quality time with friends and family. However, throwing a party comes with a much bigger responsibility than simply making sure that guests have a good time and enough to eat. As the host of a big game-day bash, you also have to ensure that your guests all make it home safe and sound. Party hosts who shirk this duty may be held liable and prosecuted if their guests drive under the influence and cause drunk driving accidents. Fortunately, these handy tips can help you host a Super Bowl party that's as safe as it is fun.
Designate Sober Drivers
- Have your guests choose their designated drivers in advance, or at the beginning of the party—prior to enjoying any alcoholic beverages.
- Keep the phone numbers of local cab companies and sober ride programs readily available for guests without a designated driver. With the advent of ride sharing services like Uber and Lyft, it's easier than ever to make sure that every guest has a safe way home.
- As an added safety measure, you can also ask any guests who plan to consume alcoholic drinks during the party to place their keys in a designated bowl until the end of the get-together.
- Serve plenty of food, including an array of high-protein snacks.
- In addition to any alcoholic beverages, offer a wide variety of non-alcoholic drinks, such as water, juice, tea, or soda.
- Serve alcoholic drinks one at a time.
- Stop serving alcohol at the end of the game's third quarter—just like they do in NFL stadiums.
- Serve coffee or cocoa, and dessert, during the fourth quarter.
Give Designated Drivers the MVP Treatment
Being a designated driver is an important job that doesn't have to be thankless. You can recognize the designated drivers at your party and make them feel special by letting them be the first to go through the buffet line and keeping their glasses full of their favorite non-alcoholic beverage.
When hosting a Super Bowl party, the safety of your guests should be your top priority. Fortunately, using these tips, keeping guests safe is as simple as it is important.