Each year, thousands of children are injured as a result of back-over car accidents. This frightening type of accident typically occurs because the driver is unable to see the victim before backing up. Every vehicle has what is known as a blind zone, which consists of the area behind the vehicle where a driver cannot see, even if the driver looks backwards and takes advantage of rear and side-view mirrors.
Few things are as tragic as a car accident that injures or kills a young child. Unfortunately, back-over car accidents occur far too often. If you or someone you love was injured in a back-over accident, please contact an Atlanta personal injury lawyer at Kaufman Law, P.C. to learn more about your rights. We are available to take your call 24/7, and offer a free initial consultation to start your case.
Contributing Factors in a Back-Over Car Accident
There are several factors that can contribute to a back-over accident:
- Many drivers do not realize that there is a large and very dangerous blind zone behind their vehicle. Unfortunately, you cannot avoid an accident when you cannot see that there is a potentially dangerous situation at hand.
- Children are not able to take the proper actions to prevent back-over crashes. Young children do not understand that slow-moving or parked vehicles are dangerous. Children believe that if they can see the car, the driver can see them.
- Children do not recognize physical boundaries such as property lines, sidewalks, driveways, or parking spaces. Children are also highly impulsive. They sometimes enjoy testing the limits and ignoring common safety practices.
- When a driver is in a hurry, they may back out of their driveway or pull out of a parking spot much quicker than is safe. Even if they are looking in their rear-view mirror, they may not see a small child standing behind the car.
If your child was injured, we can help you protect your legal rights. However, it is important to act quickly. Contact Kaufman Law, P.C. today for more information.
8 Surprising Facts About Back-Over Car Accidents
If a child is standing in a vehicle’s blind zone, a terrifying accident may occur when the driver decides to put the car into reverse. Sadly, these accidents are far too common. Below is eight important statistics about back-over accidents:
- In the U.S., at least 50 children are backed over by a vehicle every week
- Of those 50 children, 48 are treated in a hospital emergency room
- Every week, two of those 50 children suffer fatal injuries
- Back-over accident victims are usually between 12 and 23 months old
- More than 60% of back-over accidents involve larger-sized vehicles
- In 70% of back-over accidents, a parent or relative is behind the wheel
- Back-over accidents cause 200+ fatalities and 13,000+ injuries each year
- Most back-over accidents occur in driveways and parking lots
In order to prevent these accidents, all drivers must act responsibly and use extra caution when behind the wheel. In addition, rear-view cameras should be considered. These cameras can be installed on any vehicle. If you or your child is injured in a back-over accident, you can turn to an Atlanta car accident attorney at Kaufman Law, P.C. for the help you need. Contact us 24/7 to learn more.
Was your child injured in a back-over accident? Call Kaufman Law, P.C.